Thursday, February 2, 2012

A Poor Excuse



What to do about the growing number of persons who have “fallen through the cracks?” That phrase, which gets spoken frequently in description of the impoverished, forgotten, and marginalized, has intrigued me. Think about what it must be like to live as one in the cracks --- it would be stifling, tight, and one would feel pressed upon; one could see and hear the many passing by above you yet you remain unnoticed.

The media mania over Mitt’s latest mis-speak, does raise the question on how corporately and individually we relate and respond and resource the impoverished of our shared society.

This question prompts us to reflect on the role of government, acts of charity or acts of justice, and is it the sole…or soul…responsibility of the faith communities?

I am one who believes the social safety net is foundational to this nation; yes, I am a monogram democrat who supports the policies of FDR and LBJ.

In having this blog touch on politics let’s keep the good times rolling and move onto religion. For me, I cannot separate being a disciple of the Christ from the call to be with, stand with, and minister with persons who are poor.
I was once asked in my years of ministry (NOTE: I will be ordained 20 years this June) what has been the biggest surprise. My answer: How negatively congregations view the poor. My experience has been that folks would rather put money in the plate and food in a bag and keep a nice, safe distance then they would invite, welcome, and receive in community persons who are poor.

A closing story to think about: At one of the congregations where I served as pastor, we had an afterschool program for kids called KIDS CLUB. Kids would come for a meal, music, a study, and crafts. One year the theme for the KIDS CLUB was about hospitality and who we welcome and who we don’t and how to become a more hospitable congregation. For the closing session and meal, we asked the kids to come dressed as someone who they felt would not be welcomed in the congregation. Aside from the kid who came dressed as a bunny rabbit (you never reach everyone) the majority of the kids showed up dressed as poor people.

And, what does that say about us and what we must change to truly be a reflection of the One we follow?

sj;

1 comment:

  1. Once again, you make good points and I thank you for them. What timing old Willard has to make his "poor" statement one day and stand with Trump the next. I always remember in my home church when we planned a Christmas Eve service to welcome new people to the church and one member was afraid the new people who came would show up smelling like alcohol. We like to pick those we welcome I guess. Once more, you got me thinking and I appreciate what you write. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete