Thursday, March 1, 2012

TIME PASSAGES


As I’ve mentioned several times before, I am living in the “Maam” stage of life. When out at a restaurant, at a hotel, or shopping, I no longer (nor have I been for some time) am referred to as “Miss.” Nope. It is now “Maam.” I tried to reverse the trend by calling everyone, even those wait staff and clerks whom clearly were older than I, “Miss,” yet that fooled no one nor did it entertain, nor did it reverse the “Maam” reference….sigh…..

I am old. I know this because they have started to do re-makes of the movies that were major films in my youth. This summer’s re-make of “Footloose” stung. I refused to see it.

I now do trainings by using the phrase, “those of us of a certain age will remember….” The interns at work have never known a time when there were not computers, microwaves, and when there were only 4 television channels.

Now is the time for wisdom, to be able to make connections between how it was and how it is and know where is found the better way.

Now is the time to reflect on how far society has journeyed and to share these mileposts with the younger generation. For example, fifty years ago a woman needed her husband’s approval to apply for a credit card….yikes!

Progress is a good thing and often the wisest woman in the village is she who has grown up with how things used to be and lives now in how things are and is able to have the knowledge of both and the wisdom to discern the better way.

Just to make my point, I decided to wear a sweater vest while writing this……

sj;

1 comment:

  1. Great photo! Sadly, I can relate to much of what you are saying. You offer a good reminder about the importance of setting a good example and being a positive role model. Thanks....

    ReplyDelete