Thursday, April 5, 2012

Be where your feet are


In a previous post I had told readers that I would share a story about my experience with foot washing. This, dear reader, is that tale.

Let me begin by saying that if you are ordained clergy in the Christian faith tradition and cannot get energized, jacked, enthused about designing and leading the worship services for Holy Week one needs to seriously consider taking a break. While in the local church, I absolutely loved preparing and leading the Holy Week worship services. I miss it and hope for new opportunities.

The stories of the week are packed full of emotion, are tales of giving and leaving and the impact of the mystery in each narrative cries out to be celebrated in a way that builds and draws upon that emotion.

For me one of the most powerful and intimate experiences was to wash the feet of another. In my opinion, if one is going to remember Jesus washing the feet of his followers, then by all means don’t wuss out and wash hands….go for it! Get a basin, fill it with water, gather towels, and wash another's feet!

There is something humbling and intimate and binding when one kneels and washes the feet of another. I made sure the water was warm, and I would pour it gently over one foot and then the other. I would wash, massage, and dry each foot and as I did this I would softly affirm the person whose feet I washed, looking up occasionally into another’s face. I concluded by massaging ointment into the feet and offering a blessing.

She was a woman in her late-40s whose personal story started with the phrase, “I should have been dead at least three times in my life….” Her one hand and her feet were curved and turned-in, she limped noticeably. She carried herself with a steady, peaceful, gentle presence and kindness. As I washed her feet she sighed and smiled and as I affirmed her and looked up her gaze was constant and met my eyes as she smiled. I massaged the ointment into her feet and as I prepared to offer a parting word, she reached down, cupped my face in her hands, and smiling pronounced blessing on me saying, “Well done, good and faithful servant.”

And, who was serving whom?

We call it Maundy Thursday because we who follow the Christ are given a mandate --- “to love one another as Christ has loved us."

Blessed be and do.

sj;

1 comment:

  1. Very touching. Thank you for sharing. I am sure the memories of what you did have stayed with those you served. Sounds like a tug on your heart is happening....

    ReplyDelete