Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Holiday ABC's....


V = Voices Do you hear the voices of the season? The laughter, the stories, the songs? Christmas at the House of Snyder is, as is true with most family gatherings, a loud, raucous, laughter-infused affair. None of us would have it any other way. It seems that at this time of year it is easier to still hear the voices and laughter of the many who have passed on. Listen.

W = Winter Snow on trees and rooftops; bundling up in coats and scarves and gloves; air so cold you can see your breath --- all this makes you want to get inside and get warm by beverage, in front of a fireplace, or in the company of others.

X = The Greek letter, “Chi” written in English as X When I was young and impressionable, I was offended by people who would write X-Mas instead of Christmas. Then I learned that “X” is how one writes the Greek letter Chi that stands for Christ. We get so bothered by little things and forget what really matters --- how we live and the call to love will make it clear to everyone the why of the season.

Y = You So much of this season is what you choose to make it. So, how goes your holiday?

Z = Zither You thought I wouldn’t be able to find a “z” word, didn’t you??? Even though I have zero musical ability, I always thought (and really still do) that it would be fantastic to be able to sing and play a musical instrument and entertain. In trying to assist with that dream, one Christmas my parents bought me a “Zither,” is a small, lap-held, harp instrument. To play it, you would put the music sheet under the strings and follow the notes that were color-coded. Sounds simple --- did I mention my total lack of musical ability. Yet, one can still dream….

sj;

No comments:

Post a Comment