Sunday, March 3, 2013

Calls

Today, 3 March is the birthday of Alexander Graham Bell, the inventor of the telephone. In this time in which seemingly everyone carries a mobile phone, i-phone or smart phone --- thanks, Alexander. The invention of the telephone was a giant step on improvement of communication which leads to stronger connections which lead to deals struck, friendships strengthened, and news conveyed.

I preached a sermon on the tangible reminders of my faith journey and proposed that what if in heaven there was a room that contained all of the tangible, reach-out-and-touch items that were central to an individual’s faith journey.

If that was so, than in my “markers of a faith journey room” there would be Sarah Waltenbaugh’s telephone. Sarah was one of the faithful saints of my home church, Freeport United Methodist. A lifelong member who raised her family and they in turn their children in the church, she was a stalwart, steady, present, an anchor.

During my youth, I became more involved in church. I attended youth group and during youth Sundays or on United Methodist Student Day when the younger set took responsibility for the morning worship, I would have a role in the service. It may be leading the liturgy, doing the prayer for the offering, or reading some bit in the sermon --- a part played in the larger group effort.

No matter what I did, that afternoon following worship, the phone would ring and I knew it was Sarah Waltenbaugh calling me to say what I nice job I did and how wonderful it was and what a special young lady was I.

Those affirmations made a huge difference. I know those calls helped lead me to where I was in place to hear the call to ordained ministry and to answer. God is clever --- my calling started years before with a phone call.

Make time this day and week to reach out and call someone whom you haven’t spoken to in awhile. Take the time to connect with a young person, give them a word of encouragement, a note of support, a listen.

It is interesting that the first words Alexander Graham Bell spoke on that first phone call were, “Watson, come here. I need you.” We all want to and need to hear those words. Make it happen.

sj;

4 comments:

  1. I am having a problem with this post since every American who studies history should know that Alexander Graham Bell did NOT invent the telephone. He stole the idea and even our Congress issued an apology to the true heirs of the inventor. But other than that historical error, good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. To all of the Daughters and Sons of Italy, I was not aware of that fact and have not known it to be otherwise. Please provide more details for myself and all the misinformed schoolchildren of America.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Every school child in Italy knows the true inventor of the telefono. So there is no true Ma Bell. It's Mama.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have heard about Meucci and feel bad that he couldn't come up with the $10 dollars to get a patent. Tough break. Couldn't Marconi have wired him a loan?

    ReplyDelete