Sunday, March 31, 2013

Happy Easter

The poet Mary Oliver said that the greatest sermon she ever heard was the sun. Perfect.

Consider yesterday and the energy in people outside doing yard work, playing catch, reading, taking a walk...persons out with one another in the light and warmth of the sun.

A sunshine is one of the first things we learn to draw. Still, when I’m doodling, there are an abundance of suns.

A majority of the great leaders and thinkers arise before dawn and welcome the sun. There is a rush, a catch of the breath, a vibrancy, a zest, a tangible movement of hope in watching the dawn of a new day. One is really aware of how light comes softly yet with noticeable intention. The birds sing to welcome the light. In the moment before dawn there is a quiet hope, a peace, a newness.

I’ve noticed that a lot of faith communities seem to have moved past the Easter Sunday Sunrise service. It needs to be re-claimed. The service gets people up and outside and the wonder of nature brings the message.

When I moved to Erie for a new church appointment and was near a significant body of water in Lake Erie I determined that my first Easter sunrise service would be at the lake. I would not be swayed. I spent a couple of weeks prior to Easter checking for myself which beach would offer the best view of the rising sun so as to properly direct parishioners where we would gather.

That Easter morning it was a bit brisk as I drove to the beach in the late night darkness. I had determined that I would do the service in barefoot. One, because the occasion and what we were celebrating was holy and two, I could share with this new congregation my take on “Easter Feet.”

Years previous, while doing the children’s sermon on Easter I had taken off my socks and shoes and met the kids at the steps of the altar area barefooted. Of course, this caught their attention and I proceeded to tell the story as relayed in John’s gospel of Peter and John racing to the empty tomb and how they were so excited to get there they ran right of their sandals! Easter feet --- we need ‘em in our excitement to run and share the great news of the Resurrection.

Of course the kids paid attention and all the little ones in their colorful Easter dresses and white tights and patent leather shoes and sharp suits also wanted to have “Easter Feet” and proceeded to enter various stages of undress on the altar area. One never knows how the message will be responded to.

This Easter, do respond to the message of Life and “Practice Resurrection.”

To light!

To life!

To hope!

To joy!

Happy Easter Feet!

sj;

1 comment:

  1. Happy Easter! Lots of good things to think about. To Happy Easter Feet....

    ReplyDelete