Monday, March 25, 2013

I'm so angry I could just....

Waking up in late March to three or four inches of heavy, wet snow may make one have thoughts of grilled groundhog. In the past week or two you have used an expletive before the word groundhog?
Been guilty of road rage? Do you stare down or honk-off the driver who cuts in front of you?
Ever curse Pirates owner, Bob Nutting and his spending or lack thereof?

Anger. We get it, spew it, stew in it.
Being angry over groundhogs, tailgaters, and tight-wad owners are blips in our emotional read-out, inconveniences that quickly pass.

Yet, what about being truly angry about what matters? I read a quote that stated, "Had we been truly paying attention we would have been angrier more." I like it. I understand it. In the work of justice, anger often fuels the advocacy and undergirds the efforts. I think one should become angry when witnessing how people live in oppressive poverty, how white-collar cheats are celebrated and persons receiving benefits are stigmatized, and how greed and bluster deplete both our nation's moral character and bank account.

Women are raised to not get angry. Yelling or swearing or pointing fingers and demanding ultimatums have for a long time been seen as "unbecoming" in a lady.
Guess I won't ever become one.

The Christian tradition holds that on the Monday of Holy Week Jesus became angry, knocked over some temple tables, and called people names. He was angry.

He was irate over how the faith had become a surface faith that was shallow, money-focused, and indiffrent to the plight of persons who are poor. Hmmmmm......

Maybe we are just not invested enough in the conditions of our world to be angry. That's a shame. Heaven knows, there is a lot to be angry about.

sj;

1 comment:

  1. Grilled groundhog. Now, that's something I hadn't thought of. Perhaps I should. That poor guy did his best, I am sure. Now he's getting sued, extradited and possibly grilled!!! This is good to ponder. I probably do get ANGRY over the wrong things. I really should be more discriminating about use of my anger. I never considered that possibility before. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete