Monday, April 22, 2013

Lessons everywhere

I just can’t get enough of the eagles who have nested on the hillside near the Mon River! This seems appropriate on this Earth Day!

The other day I took a walk on the trail to see the pair and big news --- there are now two eaglets to join the family! While I was there one of the eagles was sitting on a branch looking regal and glorious. As I stood there watching him, an older gentleman wearing a bright pink shirt and riding a bike pieced together of various parts, including the still-way-cool banana seat, stopped and said to me, “Hey, I’m gonna’ tell ya’ I’m a blind cat. Is there an eagle up there? Just tell me.”

I smiled and replied, “Yes, there is. In fact there are two eagles and two eaglets.”

He nodded, looked at me and said, “OK. That’s good enough for me.” And he pedaled away further down the trail. He never stopped to look up at the hillside. He had his answer and he was good with it.

Talk about trusting a stranger’s reply.

Talk about the power of believing an eyewitness account.

Talk about believing without seeing.

This brief encounter on a walking and biking trail on a cool, sunny day in Pittsburgh was a gift recalling for me in this Easter season the need to trust and believe in what I know to be true based on the experiences of others and my own encounters.

Trust it....

sj;

1 comment:

  1. Okay...a bright pink shirt and a pieced-together bike? But I see it! I see him. I like the fact that he even knew he was where the eagles are! I really like the link to Easter. He was happy with what he heard and went merrily on his way enjoying life and believing as we are to do. Great for recognizing that! Thank you for sharing your eyewitness account of events which helps me to link to believing as well! Thank you again.

    ReplyDelete