Sunday, April 14, 2013

Table it

“Always room for one more,” was the lived rule of being at table in the House of Snyder. My Mom was an amazing woman who from children's artwork on the fridge, to an always-full cookie jar, to innumerable little ones soothed to sleep in the rocking chair was the very best Mom.

One of the key ways Dorothy Snyder showed her love was through food. Yes, I was loved a whole lot.
From her grandmother and her aunts, she learned that gathering together at table was a central part of being a family --- table time was a priority.

Therefore, it is not surprising that Mom’s favorite Bible story was the Risen Jesus preparing breakfast on the beach for his disciples. This post-Resurrection story concludes with Jesus instructing his disciples that if they love him to “feed and tend” one another and all the others.

I’m sure it’s due to my lineage and my upbringing, yet, my living out of my calling as an ordained minister is about setting and inviting and feeding and extending the table. If someone is hungry, feed ‘em. Make reasons for folks to gather at table. Invite everyone to table…make room and make connections. Labor so all may have enough to eat. Never meet unless you eat.

The three things people most want to hear are:
• I love you.
• I forgive you.
• Supper’s ready.

We find that when we gather together at table.

Feed and tend…..

sj;

1 comment:

  1. Nice! I think those are three good things to live by. I have to learn more about the story of the risen Jesus preparing breakfast on the beach for his disciples. If we all lived by the words to "feed and tend" one another, the world would be a better place. And I am sure that is your point. Thanks for sharing. And getting me to think once more.

    ReplyDelete