Thursday, October 31, 2013

Journey Lights

Trick-or-Treat just concluded and it looks like another good haul for the kids of the neighborhood! Following the example of my mother, I pride myself in putting together a great treat bag affirmed by the kids’ responses of “Wow!” and “Whoa!” and “Mom, check this out!”

While sitting out on the porch watching for the kids, I noticed the row of lights up and down the street that directed the children on their journey for junk. Yes, a light on signals CANDY HERE! Yet the house lights also helped to light the path for the kids on their travels.

On this eve before All Saints Day, I thought that is a good metaphor for the saints who light our way as we journey to wholeness. We find ourselves looking for the light and are drawn to it for the goodness we will find there. The lights direct our steps.

I am a big fan of the belief that we are surrounded by a great cloud of witnesses --- kind of like the family and friends who show up for your Little League game or your school play. They are there watching, cheering, beaming, supporting. For me, knowing that always made me play stronger and ham-it-up more, they gave me confidence and a sense of security.

Take a moment today and actively re-member the saints who lit your journey. Read one of their favorite passages; eat their favorite food; tell the stories where they shine the brightest!

We are not alone…..blessed be;
(by the way, how are you doing with the when and who and why of your blessings?)


sj;

1 comment:

  1. Wow! Whoa! This is REALLY GOOD. All really excellent: "a 'light on' signals CANDY HERE!" That is terrific. And the lights do help to show the way. Okay, okay, I will work on remembering the saints who lit my journey and I will work on the when and who or my blessings. Excellent stuff. Where is the next one?

    ReplyDelete