Monday, November 11, 2013

Big Picture

My niece will soon begin a major adolescent rite of passage --- getting her driver’s license. I volunteered to help teach her to drive. Should be fun….

I remember learning to drive….yikes! My brothers helped and taught me how to drive a stick shift. (NOTE: Every car I have owned has been a stick shift. ) My brother’s tutelage ended when going 55 mph I downshifted because I wanted to be sure to make it up the next hill. That did not go well for the car, my brother, and ultimately me.

My father lasted two lessons and proclaimed, “You’ll never be able to drive if you don’t know where to look!” Where to look? I protested that I was indeed looking out the window and paying attention to which my father clarified, “You’re looking at the end of the hood. You have to look out and ahead and see the big picture and be able to see what may be coming.”

Dad’s advice served me well in my driving and continues to serve me well in my living and my advocacy work in trying to influence policy that benefits the shared common good.

Look beyond the edge of your hood.

What is the best course of action that serves the common good and makes the most sense in the long run?

Look beyond the edge of your hood.

Move past what’s in it for me to how will this benefit the bigger community of which I am a part.

Look beyond the edge of your hood.

That pesky “love your neighbor” thing was meant to include more than just the folks on your street and in your zip code.

Look beyond the edge of your hood.

sj;

1 comment:

  1. Now that's funny. I am envisioning Mr. Magoo out there driving around when I read this. Where were you going???? Funny how that stuck with you and it really does apply to the work that you do and the life we all live since we are on this earth together. It is so easy to walk around not looking past the end of our hood. I will "look up" and see what and who are around me. Thank you!!! But, regarding your niece, I don't know. I get scared when I look in the rear view mirror and swear I see elementary school kids at the wheel.

    ReplyDelete