Friday, April 24, 2020

To the Bard

I've had one of those weeks so I missed posting on William Shakespeare's birthday.  Yet, good news is people think his birthday is April 23 and a lot of events and programs are held that day. Yet scholars don't know for certain; most say it was sometime in late April so I'm going forward with the post.

Being an English major it is required to read and like Shakespeare....I do.....a star on my paper, please!

Here are my Top 10 Shakespeare related moments:

10.     In high school English class hoping not to be called upon to read Shakespeare out loud and then doing so and the rush of getting the rhythm of the words and knowing that spark'd would be pronouncd "spark-ed"

9.     When Shakespeare's a Jeopardy category, I can answer at least 2 out of 5!

8.     Randomly quoting Shakespeare in entertaining ways (at least they make me chuckle).

7.     At Halloween, saying to someone overly made-up, "Woman! God gave you one face and you paint for yourself another!"  Try it.  Is a definite crowd pleaser.

6.    Dropping a sonnet on someone with whom you are smitten.  Trust me, you can't go wrong with "Shall I compare thee to a summer's day? Thou art more lovely and more temperate" (Sonnet 18) To really impress memorize and lay down the entire thing.  Summer's on the way.....time to memorize.

5.     Shakespeare-themed movies.  For the most part they are quite good.  Personally, I saw SHAKESPEARE IN LOVE nine times in the theater.....

4.     Attending the annaul high school students Shakespeare competition where students present passages or scenes they have memorized.  It's a good time, seriously,  I'm always intrigued with what play they select and what passage.  I'm even more impressed with their courage to stand on the stage and emote as they quote.

3.     My college Shakespeare professor, Dr. Baldwin, exhorted his students to write in our huge, 2 pound "Complete Collection of Shakespeare" text books.  "Write in the margins!  Highlight what moves you! Engage with the text! Show me you are connecting with the words!"  Ever since that course I am a confirmed one-who-writes-in-books.  Borrow a book from me and there is the added fun of my marginal commentary and symbols.

2.     As part of said college Shakespeare class going to Tornoto and the Stratford-on-Avon Shakespeare Playhouse to see their production of TWELFTH NIGHT.  There is a distinct rhythm to the words and to watch how the entire company responded to each phrase...it was like they were connected by strings.  Magical....

1.     In college for an elective I took Theater.  It was a blast and I met a lot of fun people.  We were encouaged to try out for the annaul production (that year it was "Miracle onf 34th Street"). My friend Eric and I decided to do the balcony scene from "Romeo and Juliet" (stop laughing).  I stood on a chair and said, "My ears have not yet drunk a hundred words of thy tongue's uttering. Yet, I know the sound, art thou not Romeo and a Montague?"  To this day if I'm standing on a chair for any reason: putting away the winter wear, reaching for the cocoa mix or changing a light bulb, I tell you I"m breaking out the iambic pentameter!

For those 10 reasons and more, I raise a glass to William Shakespeare!


1 comment:

  1. This is hilarious and most well done. You spark-ed something like a funny bone. Is better to laugh, especially now. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete