Sunday, May 9, 2021

How we celebrate now

 

It may be an effect of the journey through the pandemic and not being able to be out and with. In my neighborhood, I’ve noticed new ways in which families celebrate. 

 

Popular are the two-foot-tall individual letters lined with lights and spelling out Happy Birthday. Accompanying this is an age-specific, four-foot-tall number stuffed with colorful balloons. 

 

These displays are all over the neighborhood.  My next-door neighbor’s daughter left hers up for weeks.  The celebrative tone tends to wane a bit as the balloons deflate, yet she remains a proud seven years old.

 

One neighbor posted a five-foot sign celebrating finalizing of the adoption of their son. Another, complete with a four-foot bible and church, wanted all to know their children just celebrated their first communion. 

 

Walking around the neighborhood and noticing these family’s yard celebrations, I pause and applaud at each one.  Kind of my way to join in their celebration.

 

My family kept our celebrations insular and private. Though no three-foot yard signs, my mother excelled in refrigerator art and proclamations. Every finger paint masterpiece, starred homework sheet and newspaper clipping went on the fridge door. No banners, an occasional balloon, no yard signs, the occasional outside party. Yet, most importantly, a birthday was never missed our entire lives…as kids, adolescents and grown adults in the workforce and our own residences.  For each birthday, she made your favorite meal.  As kids, she made it extra, extra special by baking and decorating a cake to your liking.  I recall, a lion, an elephant, a snowman, a giraffe, a football field on the year the Super Bowl was played on my birthday.   


Who knows what normal will be on the other side of all this. Yet, in over a year of isolation and distancing (six feet and other ways) it seems there is a need to announce boldly and grandly our accomplishments and milestones. Do I feel connected to these people? Not really, yet, if they are ever outside when I walk pass, I will feel as if I know a bit more about my neighbors…the positive, good stuff. 

 

If we’ve learned or in some instances re-learned anything it’s to celebrate all the little things and moments….each one…recognize the moment and be thankful.

No comments:

Post a Comment