Sunday, March 6, 2022

LENTEN LINE 1: "You try me....."

With a sigh of exasperation and seeking calm, my mother would say, "You try me."  It was never directed at me of course.......yet it was her way, I suppose, of expressing that she was nearing the point where her proverbial last nerve was about to be gotten on.

The first Sunday of the Lenten season always begins with the tempation story of Jesus.  As we begin our individual and corporate journeys, we too are to ready ourselves for this season of introspection, to go deeply into knowing who one is...all that is good and wonderful and all those aspects that need to be improved and strengthened; to confront the barriers that keep one from wholeness and living seamlessly.

Basically, before and more than giving up something for Lent, let us go inward and seek to know ourself.  To begin this procees, I believe first and foremost and always we are each beloved, blessed and beautiful to behold...let that be the mantra one carries as we work to become the best me one can be.

In the movie BROADCAST NEWS, the character played by Holly Hunter states, "He's the devil. Look at how good looking he is, how suave and cool...he's the devil. You think the devil's going to show up with red horns and long tail?!!?  No.  He will show up looking like that which will most tempt."

Sustenance.   Security.   Power.  Protection. Do we lose our center, our grounding, our sense of beloved personhood in pursuit of or focus upon these things?  

My confession would be yes.  The next part of the introspection would be to ask and seek to answer why. 

Personally, and I think I know the reason, I struggle with the notion of trust. I love the line, "Just leap.  Either you will be given wings or you will land on solid ground." Hmmmm....are the wings mentioned angel wings because I'm going to die if I take this leap?  Why tempt it, the solid ground I'm on now is fine.....yet, I'm not becoming more me......I pause. I reflect. I ask. I answer. I become whole......

The journey continues......



No comments:

Post a Comment