Sunday, April 3, 2022

LENTEN LINE 13: Take

 


As a youth my experience of communion involved coming up front to the communion rail and seeing  pieces of broken shortbread placed in metal dishes...very safe and very contained.  

Communion and what the sacrament symbolizes is so much more than safety and containment.  Communion is sacrifice, service, love that is bold and without boundaries, grace freely given and freely received.

Spare me the already cut loaf of bread that the clergy neatly pulls apart. Me, I want the actual loaf as is so I can tear into it, I want the effort, I want the crumbs to go everywhere, I don't want it to be neat and clean.

Communion is about a gift offered.

Communion is about a response to the gift.

We TAKE communion --- we open our hands or our mouths and the bread is place into our open palms or mouths, we open to receive.

Take;

Receive;

Share

Each central actions to living the discipleship life.


No comments:

Post a Comment