Saturday, March 4, 2023

A brief reflection on John 3.1-17

 


The key chapter in the centuries old and-it-really-works Rule of Benedict is Chapter 7 on Humility, this virtue is needed to build strong community.

At its core and literally from its root, humility is authenticity, knowing who you are soars and sours, wows and what was that??!?!, success and stumbles...the all of you....when one knows self and is comfortable with self than one is more understanding and gracious to another.

A part of me feels for Nicodemus, so afraid and uncertain he has to meet Jesus at night time lest he be caught by his colleagues, the Pharisees, who like to put on the show and glow instead of the real and heal.

I've had my encounters with the type such as when someone found out I was in seminary and asked if I knew Jesus (!) I said, is he the the guy in the picture above your mantel?!!?? 

Or, after having been interviewed and trained and hired by the WPA-UMC Conference to be a Program Staff Camp Counselor being assigned to the One Way Camp and prior to the start of the week, being called to meet and be interviewed by the camp dean to be certain "I measured up." 

I confess, I'm not a big fan of putting-on-airs and arrogance. Perhaps my cussing, bluejeans wearing, sports referencing, talk too loudly and joke too often turns some folks off.  Oh well.

At least I'm authentic.

My favorite church folks are the ones who come as they are and in so doing create a welcoming spirit for everyone. 

When a congregation really opens and includes and has that going on you build real and, yes, beloved community.

To quote the film CHOCOLAT, "Why do we choose to measure our goodness as to what we give up and who we exclude? Why? When we should measure our goodness by what we do and who we include. Christ is kindness, grace, life, love."

The key point is we don't have to earn God's love and grace....we already are loved and graced.  

Believe it. Live it. Let others in on the fact that just as they are they are God's Delight.....Blessed be;



No comments:

Post a Comment