Tuesday, March 21, 2023

Homer Moment

 


There are times when you just really want a hot dog.  

On that quest, I went to the Brighton Hot Dog shop drive-thru. 

I pulled up to the order window and waited....I waited some more....then kept waiting for someone to welcome me (nice, yet, I really just wanted a hot dog...) and then to ask me my order; that's how the system works....ask and answer.

Nothing.

I waited some more. Zippo. 

No cars were behind me.  I looked around. Then I saw the sign on the drive thru board: IF NO ANSWER, PLEASE TAP HORN.

The drive-thru board had a speaker in the shape of a horn...got it.

I got out of my car.

I approached the order board. 

I extended my hand and tapped said horn three times.  

When there was still no response. I tapped the horn two more times....still nothing. 

I got back in my car and then realized that I am a moron.

It was then that I gently tapped my car horn.

Chuckling to myself and shaking my head, finally, the person's voice came on the speaker asking for my order....sigh....

I ordered (my wanting that hot dog was somehow greater than my embarrassment) and approached the window to pay and pick up my food.  

The young woman at the window had long since passed any effort to hide her laughter. I smiled and nodded in that "yes, I know...." and with compassion for the village idiot (that would be me) she said, "It's all good....maybe we need to make the instructions clearer."

Her grace was appreciated.

Though my recent behavior does not add credence to this offering, here are instructions we all can follow:

"Instructions for living a life. 

Pay attention.

Be astonished.

Tell about it."

~ Mary Oliver


No comments:

Post a Comment