Wednesday, March 15, 2023

Thanks, Pat!

 


I always feel the connected energy in gatherings when the names of the ancestors are raised and to each name all in gathered chorus respond,  "Presente!

All of us, yet definitely we who are engaged in the labor of social justice, must always know and re-member (as in bring them in) and thank all those who toiled in a time we struggle to believe ever happened, so shocking is what their efforts overcame for us all.

That said, I was saddened at the news of the passing of Pat Schroeder, elected member from Colorado of the US House of Representatives and feminist trailblazer. 

Not that we have yet to make glass-ceiling breaking inroads, yet we have made increases. Shroeder was in office during a time when she had to battle for a woman's restroom to be installed in the halls of power, helped pass the 1978 Pregnancy Discrimination Act which barred employers from discriminating against women because they were pregnant and denying them maternity benefits; and, as she was being blatantly questioned to whether she could be both a mother and a legislator she famously responded, "I have a brain and a uterus and I use both."

As I listened to the NPR reporter tell of Schroeder's career, her great verbal retorts, her courage and efforts that moved society every forward, I said aloud, "Thanks, Pat."

In not just the 31 days of Women's History Month, may we always learn and tell the stories of yes, the ancestors in our own lineages, yet, also those of women whose tales and lived experiences are as yet unknown to us.

I broke the gender barrier in the South Buffalo Little League. I did this in large part because my three older brothers played catch and "21" with me quite regularly. My mother loved me for who I am and realized early on I was most comfortable in blue jeans and sweatshirts not dresses and bows and bought me packs of ball cards and rubber balls that I could throw against the garage. My father encouraged and took me to sign-ups.

On my Little League team, the T-Birds, I was good. I played third and pitched.  

One particular contest, I was on the mound throwing a good game. My parents and one of my brothers, who cheered, "Throw smoke, Sally!" were in attendance. At one point, another parent watching me pitch exclaimed, "Wow, that boy can sure pitch!"  At which point my father walked over to the man and said, "The pitcher is my daughter and you're right, yes, she can."



No comments:

Post a Comment