Thursday, March 9, 2023

What's in a name....

 

My youngest nephew and his fiancé are expecting their first child in early May --- there is excitement all around!  

My nephew is a ginormous fan of all things "Lord of the Rings." He's read the books and even the initial volume that J.R.R. Tolkien wrote that sets the stage. He's watched all the movies multiple times and can talk for hours on the finer points of the shire; he has asked me to get the baby a blanket that's made from the wool of the New Zealand sheep which made the cloak worn by the Great Wizard. I kid you not. He sent me the link. I'm doing it.

When talking about what names are being considered for his son, the nephew remains adamant that he wants something that's unique, different, original. The family joke was knowing that consideration mixed with his deep fascination with the writings of J.R.R. Tolkien, there was an above average possibility that the child could be named Gandalf....I mean he's going to be swaddled in the blanket made from the wool of the New Zealand sheep that made the wizard's cloak.

There is a story behind each name. When officiating a baptism, I always enjoyed having the parents answer the question, "What name is given to this child?"  

And there it is....the name is given and the name is received, there is a power in both.   

There is decency and respect and affording dignity by calling another by the name one wants to be known and referred. 

What's in a name?  Story. Identity. Lineage. Connection. Self awareness. 



No comments:

Post a Comment