Wednesday, April 5, 2023

Wow!


In the classic film, A COLOR PURPLE, there is a scene where Shug and Celie are walking through a field bursting with purple flowers. Shug comments, “I think it pisses God off when you walk by the color purple in a field and don’t notice it.”  Me? I agree. Every time I walk past or see a purple flower --- hyacinth, iris, tulip or johnny-jump-up –- I always pause and give a wink…. good job, God!  Seriously I do this and have done so for years. In this particular spring season, I think many neighbors either think I’m practicing my flirting skills or I have dust in my contacts.

 

We need to notice more and acknowledge more, in nature and in one another. Simone Weil said, “Love’s first step is attention.”  Truth.  Watch first time parents and grandparents --- every turn, burp, lift, spit bubble is noted, celebrated and shared. As it should be.

 

Before social media, refrigerators were where one got the lowdown on the family. The fronts of fridges contained appointment reminder cards, newspaper clippings, magnets from the vacation to Niagara Falls, the Pirates schedule, and children’s artwork; one glance and you got the idea, a closer study and you began to learn the story and have occasion to share in conversation.

 

(I know I’m using a lot of quotes in this post…long day…..) yet, Anne Lamott has the very best definition of the spring season:  “Spring, when God tarts it up a bit.”  I love a God who is extravagant!  I love a God who gets a kick out of wowing us and eagerly awaits our “oohs and ahhs” when seeing the magnolia tree in full bloom, the bright blue of the sky and the red bird in the forsythia bush. 

 

We are all on notice…..

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment