Monday, December 11, 2023

Advent ABC's

 I = IMAGINE


Those of us of a certain age recall the excitement the day the SEARS Christmas catalog arrived.  As the youngest, I waited my turn patiently....OK, I'm sure pouting was involved, some whining and then wisdom to just wait as I knew my siblings would be off to school and the book would be all mine....I'd find the toys section, look at the pictures and dog-ear the pages that contained my desires.

Though, as a kid who cared if the catalog had a title, just show me the goods....yet, I am confident that one of those treasured catalogs was emblazoned with "IMAGINE" on its cover.

Mum, holding steadfast in the engine of the house, the kitchen, would be at the table, catalog in hand, checking each dog-eared page and deciding the economics and enchantment of the selection.  She always came through and Christmas morning was a wrapped pile of delights. 

I don't have to imagine any of the home memories of my childhood and the efforts my mother gave during this holiday season, I see all clearly and can readily hear mum's voice and I miss her in the down deep places where the good stuff is. Blessed be for the gift of her;  


No comments:

Post a Comment