Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Growing up a reader



While getting ready for work today, I heard on NPR an interview with Dean Myers, the third ambassador for Young People's Literature. First, what a cool job. Second, who knew we even had such an ambassadorship.

Of course, this got me to thinking about how important it was and what a gift I and my four siblings received by being raised in a house of readers. I clearly recall each family member taking a book and going to a chair, a couch, a bedroom, a rocking chair, the kitchen table, etc. and spending some good quality time reading. We remain a family who frequently ask one another, "What book are you reading now?"

We were taught to value books and I recall each Christmas receiving a great book from my Aunt Florence, a librarian. I stil have those wonderful Dr. Seuss books and that was the foundation for my justice work and building a better community. Seriously, in my opinion, Dr. Seuss is one of the great theologians of the 20th Century.

In the role of Aunt Sally, I love to buy great children's books for my niece and nephews. Truth be told, I have a great collection of children's literature that I refer to frequently for wisdom, humor, and a great story.

If you have not yet read the following, I highly recommed: "PETE AND PICKLES" and "THE OLD TURTLE." Take a read through these recent classics and let me know what you think. Also, do recommend some of your favorite children's literature. I am always looking for a good read!

sj;

1 comment:

  1. http://www.amazon.com/Spider-Fly-Mary-Howitt/dp/0689852894

    One of my favorites, maybe a little dark for young children, but wonderful illustrations.

    ReplyDelete