Monday, January 9, 2012

Remember your baptism

Of all the joys and opportunities afforded me as an ordained minister, a biggie will always be to officiate a baptism. It is truly a time for naming and claiming. One of my favorite parts of the baptism service is when I ask the parents, "What name is given this child?" And, the child's name...that unique bit...is shared and throughout the baptismal liturgy I always included the first and middle names of the child so that in the congregation's response and promises they too were mentioning the full name of the child being baptised. I wanted the baptism to be personal.

There are a lot of promises being made and claimed in the baptismal service. One of the very cool parts about the United Methodist understanding of baptism is that it is done in the midst of the congregation and not in a private ceremony. We do baptism as part of the worship service because the congregation makes a promise to uphold, guide, and support the child being baptised.

As I counsel with parents preparing to have their child baptised, I tell them about this promise and that it is a huge deal. I share that the congregation's promise does not have an expiration date. The promise holds for any child baptized and lasts throughout that child's life. A child baptized in a congregation that is serious about the promises made on that child's behalf must be , if the promise is sincere, able to show up and be welcomed, received, and helped always.

Take time to find out the story behind your baptism.

Mine was when I was six months of age and took place in July. My mother told me that I "squawked my head off" the whole time. NOTE: This is also the woman who often told me, "Sally, you don't know how your voice carries...." kind of figured that would be so from the moment of my baptism.

As you remember your baptism. Claim the promise. You, are a beloved, blessed child of God who is beautiful to behold --- then, now, and always.
I had a parishioner who received baptism as an adult and she took this promise to heart and made it her daily and frequent refrain. So should we all.
Name it and claim it.

No comments:

Post a Comment