Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Prophet Margin


I could say that I want us to continue to remember and to keep Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.'s dream alive long after his holiday and that is why I chose today to blog about him. Whereas, I do believe we need to keep working and casting MLK's dream of a just, inclusive society, truth be told, I had a bizarre day yesterday and got caught in a blog bog. Therefore, today, I will reflect on MLK.

In the early 1990's, I traveled to Atlanta, Georgia to particpate in a national youthworkers convention. I arrived a day prior to the start of the conference, met up with a friend, and decided to see the sights of Atlanta. Tops on my list, was going to Ebenezer Baptist Church, where MLK pastored and preached.

We arrived early afternoon and went into the sanctuary. A new seminary graduate pastoring my first congregation, I asked my friend to take my photo behind the pulpit where MLK preached. I walked up to the pulpit and several photos were taken. My friend said she wanted her photo taken as well and as we switched places and she began to walk toward the pulpit, someone from the church, entered and politely told my friend, "No, Maam, you are not allowed up there;" and placed the red rope line on either side of the steps heading to the pulpit.

I swear on my prized photo of that moment, that when I walked to the pulpit there was no red rope line for me to even consider crossing. For the most part, I am an obey the rules type of person, so I doubt I would have been so brazen to walk over the red rope line if it had been in place.

Yet....maybe.....for I really wanted that photo and it has come with me to every church office as a tangible reminder of the pastor's call to be prophetic, of the pastor's call to lead the people where they may not want to go, yet, where, if they and we are to be true to our calling as people of God, we must go.

It does not matter if one's theological leaning is conservative or liberal, I believe that part of each clergy's call is the call to be prophetic. To, in the name of the One who is justice and hospitality and active compassion, give voice when the impoverished are being to discarded; to stand up and stand with those who are being wrongly and unjustly treated because of race, gender, nationality, orientation, and status; to open wide and welcome all who come knocking into the community of faith and involve them in this shared experience of grace and love.

For me, I could not and can not separate my calling to be a minister of Christ from the actions that I read and understand Jesus would do. Call it a WWJD with a strong justice bent.

I think people, the younger generation especially, are looking for their faith leaders to be prophetic. One of the more amazing things about MLK was how his words wed to his actions inspired thousands of young folks; the young persons who courageously marched, sat-in at lunch counters; faced the dogs and the firehoses; and endured the vile taunts and arrests. I believe they joined in with their whole person because, yes, they saw Martin doing it with them; yet, even more, MLK's actions stirred in them pride, courage, and awakened their inherent dignity.

Is there a need for a bigger PROPHET margin? Look around congregation and community and let me know.

sj;

No comments:

Post a Comment