Sunday, January 15, 2012

That wonderful with-ness


The Pslam for today's lectionary is Psalm 139. I've always liked this Psalm. Some do not view it favorably because there is a strong hint of the Divine as a kind of "big brother" and all-seeing every little and grand thing we do.

As is true with the psalms, 139 contains beautiful imagery and metaphor such as:
"If I take the wings of the morning and settle at the farthest limits of the sea,
even there your hand shall lead me, and your right hand shall hold me fast. If I say, 'Surely the darkness shall cover me, and the light around me become night,' even the darkness is not dark to you; the night is as bright as the day, for darkness is as light to you."


With the beauty of that passage is strength and assurance. For me, one of the great gifts given is God's wonderful with-ness to us and in and through all creation. When I started college the verse I carried with me and often repeated was "I am with you always, even unto the close of the age" and the song on my walkman (remember those?) was Amy Grant's "Everywhere I Go" from the UNGUARDED album. In the new territory of college and a place outside of my comfort zone, I needed an assuarance of a Holy With-ness.

I confess I'm a sucker for any song, scene, or moment of evidenced with-ness. I love the huddles where the players hold hands in solidarity; I love when the camera catches a spouse's hand on the back or around the shoulder of someone about to take the stage for a big speech; I love the squeeze of the hand when the person sitting next to me knows I need that little bit of support.

With-ness is one of those great gifts that we each need and each can give. Do so. Make that call; send that hand-written note; stop by to visit; stand beside another. Yes, in every way and means, get with.....

1 comment:

  1. I like the term "with-ness." We, as human beings of God, need to practice this more often in order to maintain some kind of peace, understanding and support of each other.

    ReplyDelete