Tuesday, November 20, 2012

The new inductees


In the midst of my angst and sadness over the twilight years for Twinkees, another article caught my attention. First, did you know we have a National Toy Hall of Fame??!!?? 'Tis true and it's located in Rochester, New York. Field trip anyone?

The National Toy Museum was started in 1998 and the first toys inducted into this most prestigious hall were some of the biggies in toy-dom including: Crayola Crayons, Frisbee, Etch-a-Sketch (insert 2012 Presidential Campaign memory here), Marbles, Barbie (clearly, I was not on the selection committee), the Teddy Bear, and Play-Doh to name a few.

Anyone can nominate a toy (that has gone on my to-do list) and then a committee of educators, play experts, creative types, etc. select the toys to be nominated for the given year.

This year's inductees are Star Wars figures and Dominoes. The article stated that they beat out the plastic little green army men (a favorite of my childhood), Twister and Lite-Brite (loved that!) among others.

What is fascinating are the toys that are included in the National Toy Museum. Along with Mr. Potato Head, Checkers, Bicycle, Kite, and LEGOS there is also the cardboard box and the stick.

I totally love the fact that some group of folks realized the importance to have a National Toy Musuem! As any childhood expert will tell you, play is essential to childhood! Play is essential to a healthy, whole, energized life!

This Thanksgiving, as you are gathered at table ask folks, "What was your favorite toy?" This will be a great conversation and provide some insight into the family tree. Do make note of what crazy uncle answers "the stick."

After the pie has settled, it may be a good idea to gather the crew together and play....play a board game....throw a ball around...play cards....

I am thankful to be part of family who knows that the "family who plays together, stays together."

sj;

1 comment:

  1. I Like IT!!! Isn't this what Thanksgiving is all about? Being together and having family fun! So, let's break out the games and have some intergenerational fun. I'll bet it's the things the kids remember. And I don't know why I am going here, but I say, "Long live the Twinkie." See, we didn't apreciate what we had until it was gone. Happy Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete