Thursday, April 10, 2014

Noah, the Jewish Film Festival and Twenty Dollars


10 April is the birthday of one of my favorite authors, Anne Lamott.

If you have never read her…..sigh…..to remedy might I recommend Traveling Mercies or Help, Thanks, Wow.

In light of this birthday, I figure…sigh….what a perfect day to once again, in the midst of a ridiculously stressed (April is National Stress Awareness Month ---- I’m aware….you?) schedule to once again post to the blog.

I went and saw the film, NOAH. I liked it. I recommend it. Mind, it’s not the Noah of Sunday School nurseries with a kindly, old gentleman with a long, well-groomed white beard, smiling as a pair (of course) of cuddly bears and gregarious giraffes provide the backdrop.

Aronofsky’s NOAH is dark in tone….then again, the story is about the destruction of the world, so if you’re in the mood for a Romantic Comedy….not your film. What I liked about the movie was the statement made about human beings. I found certain bits like how Noah and clan managed to keep all those carnivores from eating the herbivores fascinating. See the film. Discuss. Ponder.

Being a lover of film, I see a lot of movies and always keep my eye out for the variety of film festivals offered in Pittsburgh. A favorite is the Jewish Film Festival and a friend and I went to the debut of the powerful movie, THE GERMAN DOCTOR.

Planning on buying our tickets at the door, we arrived and were told it was a sell-out, yet, we were in luck because there were still a few tickets available. As we approached the ticket window and pulled out our credit cards the cashier stated, “Cash only.” Between us we had $3. Tickets were $10 each. Looking behind us, the line was long and leaving the theater to visit an ATM would mean no chance of getting a ticket.

At that moment, a gentleman whom neither of us knew, pulled out a twenty dollar bill and handed it to me saying, “Here. You’re good for it.”

I was completely blown-away by this act of kindness, generosity and trust from a stranger. How did he know I was “good for it?” Would I be so generous?

There comes a time when one person must trust another.

There comes a time when one person must actively assist another.

There comes a time when one person must simply and profoundly be kind to another.

There is always a choice --- fear or trust, ignore or assist, apathy or kindness.

Choose wisely and build a better world.

sj;

1 comment:

  1. That really is an amazing story...that a total stranger would show compassion enough to offer cash to people he didn't even know so they could get into a movie. In today's cold and impersonal world, a lot of people don't seem to move an inch even for people they know. And I guess that's what it takes...taking a risk and helping people we don't know. There really is a lot to the concept of "paying it forward." Thank you for taking the time to share a touching story. And thanks to that great stranger for being a stand-up guy who set such a great example!

    ReplyDelete