Friday, April 10, 2020

Faithful

It's late afternoon on this Good Friday.  In the last several years, I've gone more to the evening Tenebrae services.  When I reflect on Good Friday, my thoughts are to the faith of the Christ.  He
stayed true and loyal to the call.

The Gospels were all penned years after the ministry of Jesus occurred and I think the apostles took some editorial liberties to perhaps put a better shine upon themselves.  One will read in the gospel narratives where Jesus says, "I am going to Jerusalem and I will be betrayed, denied, arrested, beaten, crucified and three days later I will rise again."  I think that's an apostle editorial comment written post events.
If he would've said those things, why then are they not there at the crucifixion? Why do they not believe Mary on Sunday morning? 

I believe Jesus went to the cross not knowing Sunday was coming. Or, to put it another way, when he jumped no one was there to catch him....he hit the ground. To me it makes his faith and his actions even more amazing, even more courageous, even more compelling.

We go into the evening of Good Friday silent, stunned, searching for what now.

It's always good preaching and good Bible study to place one's self in the scene and with the persons present.  Where would you be?  What would you do?  

Me, I like to think I would've stayed with the women. Not because of anything more than they would've been part of my posse and I would stand with them.  I'd be there.  Definitely, turning away at points, not able to watch, yet, still staying there with and waiting....not certain of what comes next...yet staying near and waiting......

3 comments:

  1. I'd like to think I would have been there as support but I know I'd have been beside myself. Thank you for making me think and reflect. In this day and age, it's not hard to reflect upon how hard waiting for the unknown is. I can believe the apostles did not know. It's harder to try to think about what Jesus knew and didn't know. Thank you. We wait.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love finding the subtle pieces of scripture that reveal the larger role women played in His time than what we are taught to believe according to the Bible. The WOMEN knew about His crucifixion. It was a woman in whom he revealed himself to before any of his male disciples. I appreciate that you brought to attention that the words of the Gospel were written by men, years later, in a time when women were far from equals and therefore removed from the written stories.

    ReplyDelete