Saturday, April 11, 2020

She could write a grocery list.....

One of my all-time favorite authors, you know the type who if they wrote a grocery list you'd buy it and be amazed at how they wrote "eggs then bacon then juice," is Anne Lamott.  Her birthday was yesterday and that being Good Friday, I commented on that and figured to write a bit about Anne today.

In these days, we are looking for some good books to read, so let me write of the wonders of Anne Lamott.  I've been a fan of hers going back literally decades.  It took me a while to get into her writing and I had my copy of her book TRAVELING MERCIES on my shelf for a year before I read it and after that "gateway" book I've bought and read multiple times every non-fiction book she's penned.

The thing about Anne Lamott is she came to faith later in life when broke, pregnant and trying to get sober she entered a church because she was drawn in by the music. Lamott is forward, faith lived by social justice actions and a bit filthy of speech.  My kind of woman!  I have her quotes posted in prominnet places and one of my favorites is:
I would often quote her during a sermon and one Sunday after church a couple of ladies asked me for the name of Anne Lamott's book.  They bought the book, read it and two weeks later folloiwng church said to me, "Pastor, did you know there is a lot of swearing in that book! Did you read the whole thing?"  

If you want real, honest, unashamed experiences, the highs and lows in trying to live this whole Disciple of Jesus thing then give Anne a read.  In a shout-out to my mother (one of her many gifts was she stayed current and open) she also was a major Anne Lamott fan. When Anne had a new book hit the stores, I'd buy a book for me and one for my mom.  We'd read it together, laugh, learn and seek to live the faith just as real and unadorned.

What is it about living a faith-filled life that makes us think we have to be prim and proper and preen and pray five-minute prayers using four-syllable words? 
What is the message that is sending? How do we think folks receive it? Really, who is drawn in by that?
Give me a woman who can say, "Just be where your butts are and breathe." 

If you've been swayed to give Anne a read, may I recommend:
  • GRACE EVENTUALLY
  • PLAN B: THOUGHTS ON FAITH
  • HELP, THANKS, WOW



No comments:

Post a Comment