Friday, February 19, 2021

FOOD for the JOURNEY

United Methodists have never been big on dietary restrictions. I believe my faith tribe invented the coffee hour and the accompanying finger sandwiches. Give us a reason to eat and we are all about it!  We love the potluck supper and offer doing a church dinner as the best fundraising idea.  

Our Catholic sisters and brothers will not eat meat on Fridays during Lent harkening back to the "killing of the fatted calf" in celebration and feasts and connecting Friday to the date of the crucifixion and thus the need to be somber and sacrificial and add all that together and bring on the fish fry. It's amazing to me how our capitalist society jumped on this idea, note the popularity of the McDonald's Filet-O-Fish during these 40 days.

Central to an effective Lenten journey is discipline and self-control. Both traits, I confess, I need some work. I've found participation in fasts to be rewarding and requiring a clear WHY as to the fast. For me, having a set day works and to build that fast day into one's overall Lenten experience. Of course, one can also fast from the computer, the i-phone (!!!), the television, Facebook ---- foundational to fasting is to be introspective and self-reflective and throughout the experience to become whole, balanced, more aware of who you are and whom you want to become.

A serious Lenten journey is tough stuff. There are times I want to return the juvenile actions of giving up chocolate for Lent ---- trust me, that was a glorious Easter! Yet, I really didn't grow as a person and from Easter Sunday onward there were never enough M&M's, Whoppers, Cadbury Mini Eggs to satisfy.   

Blessings on your Lenten journey. Throughout, focus on the journey and notice and learn more about yourself and deepen your soul print, your relationship with the Holy and the wonder of saying and living YES to discipleship.

No comments:

Post a Comment