Sunday, February 14, 2021

LOVE...IT'S ELEMENTARY



The elementary school way and reason of handling Valentine's Day was the best.  Everyone received a paper bag and were asked to write their name on the bag. Everyone --- the cuties, the cooties and the mixture of both, we each did this.  It worked. 

The class was instructed to buy enough Valentines so that each kid received one. Brilliant. I loved the equity of this project.  Of course, there were those kids who added the little extra to their Valentine and included a heart-shaped lollipop; I think those kids eventually became class presidents and maybe eventually obtained higher elected offices.

As a kid I was a major fan of the cartoon "Scooby Doo" so of course my Valentines featured

Scooby and Shaggy.  I confess that the classmates whom I liked, thought were cool and with whom I played kickball at recess --- they each received the Valentine that featured Scooby, the second tier playmates got Shaggy and those kids who landed in the "have to" category got the Valentine with Velma.  We do pick and choose and reward and do only what is required.  Yet, the concept of everyone receives a valentine remains a good one.

No comments:

Post a Comment