Saturday, December 9, 2023

.Advent Alphabet

 


D = DARKNESS and LIGHT

This year’s Hannukah celebrations and many synagogue leaders have commented that as the war rages they were making a point to bring as much light as possible into their celebrations; congregants are encouraged to come dressed in neon colors.    

 

I also understand the power of one candle. 

 

When I lived in Erie, I was often at the beach.  During one Summer Solstice celebration started at dusk, I lit my candle, placed it in the sand and went for a walk on the beach near the water line.  I walked for about 30 minutes, dusk became early nightfall and as I walked back to where my backpack and shoes were left, I paused. The light from one single, thin, 4-inch candle provided a wide circle of light that was noticed from 100 yards away. 

 

Many candles provide much light, of course.  Yet, one candle near the waters blazes. 

 

In these days one person with hope and a desire for peace can illumine the present moment.  Just one.  

 


No comments:

Post a Comment