Tuesday, December 5, 2023

C = CANDY


Rightly so, this season is one of cookies --- exchanges, trays, bake togethers, certain to put out when folks come to visit.  Trust me, I am a fan of cookies in any season, anywhere, anytime.  

 

Yet, let us also celebrate candy! 

 

Kudos to whomever realized the idea of the small candy cane --- perfect to hang over a mug of hot cocoa and melt into the chocolate.

 


Every year in my stocking was the “Book of Lifesavers,” an ingenious idea of a cardboard book-shaped container that held fiver rolls of Lifesavers.

 

Let every kid who ever wondered if getting coal instead of candy was a real thing for bad behaviors rejoice over the wonderful invention of coal candy, a lovely licorice-flavored treat complete with bucket and hammer!      


 

I am one who always carries in my pocket individually wrapped wintergreen lifesavers or other hard candies, most likely cinnamons or peppermints. I trace the beginning of this behavior back to the Christmas of my 10thyear when my brother gifted me a two-pound bag of candy!  It was glorious!  All that hard candy --- the colors! The flavors!  Wonka himself never knew such bliss!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment