Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Windows and Wishes


I had to do a presentation at an organization downtown and used the occasion to walk from our North Side office, across the 9th Street Bridge, and into town. The presentation went fine and as the office was across the street from "Macy's" I decided to go look at the famous "Macy's Holiday Windows" as it is one of the best things about the city of Pittsburgh during the holidays.

Each holiday season, Macy's decorates some of its storefront windows that face the busy Smithfield Street. The windows are used to tell a story. This year, however, there wasn't a moving narrative but instead, each window offered various perspectives on traditions and familiar events in this festive time.

There was a window depicting people ice-skating at the outdoor rink at PPG Place; another had a scene of a couple meeting underneath the Kaufman's clock; and one of a little child watching on t.v. the film, "Miracle on 34th Street" and in the window the real movie is actually playing! Very cool!

I was completely drawn into this presentation and came very close to pressing my nose up against the glass.

However, it was the last vignette that stopped me. The window scene was divide between a child placing a letter to Santa in a mailbox and the other part of the window had three panels of changing photos and wishes. These wishes were made by real children living with very serious, threatening illnesses. Beyond their sickness, these children had even bigger wishes. "I want to swim with the dolphins." "I want to visit a Dude Ranch." "I want to go on a safari in Africa." "I want to spend a lot of time with Thomas."

'Tis the season for making lists. May it also be the season for helping to make wishes and dreams come true.

sj;

1 comment:

  1. How insightful. You are so keen in seeing things and recognizing details. I am moved by the observations and have to take a look at the windows myself. What a treasure. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete