Friday, September 7, 2012

Power Play


This is the warmest part of the year that I've been at the beach so I've been doing some ocean swimming. Neither metaphorically nor literally would I be considered a lightweight. However, the ocean waves have walloped me time and time again. I am amazed at how much force a wave brings --- the sound is like cracking thunder and getting hit square by a wave knocks me on my soggy butt.

In the pleasant times of bobbing in the waves and riding them into shore and still mindful of the ocean's power, I found cause to reflect on the nature of power. There are similarities between the ocean and humans. Power comes from being connected to a higher source. Power comes from constancy.

Speaking in truly human terms, power is "having a proper sense of self in a universe full of wonders" (Chittister). Power comes from trusting and being open and not clinging. Power is taking responsibility when it was you who blew it. Power is honoring and protecting the dignity of each person.

What say you?
While you think about it, still reeling from the ocean's power, I need to extract sand from my unmentionables.

sj;

1 comment:

  1. I like it! Good things to think about and FUNNY too. You extracting sand.... Lots to think about with "power." Great thoughts as always!

    ReplyDelete