Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Sign...sign...everywhere a sign....


Pay attention --- two words of frequent counsel; you hear the words from your parents, your teachers, your coaches. Pay attention is wise spiritual guidance to remind you to be aware of the present moment and to listen, look, and be part of what is happening around you and within you.

Part of my paying attention involves making note of words and messages that individuals write on walls, on sidewalks, on bridges and overpasses, in tunnels, on railroad ties, on rocks and beaches and on playground equipment. I am not condoning graffiti, yet, I am a student of what people choose to write, paint or carve on very public and permanent surfaces. I like when some degree of creativity is expressed other than a too frequent curse word, relationship status, or sketches of body parts. Give me something I can use.

One of the grand inventions of recent years is sidewalk chalk. What a wonderful concept to give kids (and adults) fat pieces of pastel chalk and permission to write, draw, and express all over the giant canvas of a big sidewalk! I make it a point to admire the efforts of sidewalk scribes and artists always looking for some movement away from the standard fare of suns, rainbows, hearts, and one's name.

On the walking bridge in Harrisburg, someone with a caring spirit stenciled at various intervals the words: PLEASE BE OK. What a heartfelt hope! What a wonderful wish! It made me want to connect with my fellow bridge walkers to offer a smile, a way to express in person the wish expressed in purple paint.

As I write this, I am at the beach for a glorious week of vacation. I am debating writing some less-permanent, eco-friendly messages in the sand at the shore. These messages may not last long, yet, many important messages are given to us briefly and to get the message you have to pay attention.

What are the signs you are reading?

sj;

1 comment:

  1. You are obviously a student and admirer of the written word. No surprise you enjoy reading other people's words also. Good job, oh wordsmith.

    ReplyDelete