Thursday, September 6, 2012

Why do it


Today is the birthday of the first American woman to win the Nobel Peace Prize, Jane Addams. Born into a wealthy family and a Quaker, Jane Addams was a community organizer who founded Hull House. Located on the Southside of Chicago, Hull House was a neighborhood center for the impoverished immigrants living in the community and that offered a communal kitchen, a day care, a library, and a boarding house for women.

Jane is the kind of woman I celebrate, a woman of active compassion who cares for neighbor and in doing builds a strong community.

I take pride in being a community organizer. Why do it?

* My lineage of strong women set the example.

* If we do not actively care for each other we are done.

* It is a real rush to inspire a group of persons, too often on the margins of
society, to come together and work for a more just society.

* Sarah Palin makes fun of me.

* My faith compels me to do this.

Whenever we meet a new person, after the exchange of names, the next question we ask is What do you do? More than that question, I want to ask, Why do you do it?

Well.......

sj;

1 comment:

  1. I REALLY like it. Something for me to contemplate. Why do I do it??? Thanks for getting me thinking...again!

    ReplyDelete